Olde Main Brewing Co. Fact Sheet
• Olde Main Brewing Co. is the only restaurant and brewpub in Central Iowa that bottles their beer.
• The restaurant and brewpub is located at 316 Main Street in Ames, Iowa.
• Head brewer Jeff “Puff” Irvin is from Dubuque and graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in biology. He is also a graduate of the master brewers program at the University of California Davis, the top brewing school in the country.
• It all started with a handshake deal. One night over beers Puff and Ames bar owner, Scott Griffen, made a deal to start a brewery. Next thing you know, Puff was off to the University of California Davis’ master brewers program.
• The bottling line started in May 2008. You can find Olde Main bottles and tap handles at nearly 350 bars, restaurants, and retail stores across Iowa. Find the locations here.
• Olde Main distributes bottles and draft beer through Doll Distributing (Central Iowa, Grinnell, Council Bluffs), Fahr Beverage Inc. (Waterloo), Ike Auen (Carroll), Kirchhoff Distributing Co. (Dubuque), and Dale Lee (Iowa City, Cedar Rapids).
• Olde Main brews six styles of beer, along with a root beer and various seasonals throughout the year. Four varieties are currently offered in bottles – Dinkey Wheat, Long Face, Clone, and Off KILTer. Read about all the beers here.
• Olde Main makes every effort to remain green. All excess grain is donated to Iowa State University for cattle feed. Plus, since the quality of Ames’ water is so good, there’s no need to filter it. This not only saves energy, but also gives Olde Main beer that great taste.
• Olde Main was the sole beer provider and sponsor of downtown Des Moines’ 80/35 music festival in 2008 and 2009 which featured four stages and nearly 50 national, regional, and local bands playing to 30,000 fans over the weekend.
# # #
Brewery Marketing & PR Manager